Wolverton is a constituent town
of Milton Keynes north
Buckinghamshire. Wolverton being
at its northern edge, between Stony Stratford and
It is the administrative seat of
Greenleys civil parish.
Domesday, Wolverton suffered badly
in the Enclosures, before reinventing
itself as a railway
town in the industrial revolution .
The Grand Union Canal passes
around the northern and eastern
edge of the modern town. The canal
crossed the River Great Ouse by descending
10 metres to the river by nine
locks, crossing the river on the level and
ascended by eight
locks on the other side.
Find Wolverton Agora
Click on map to view
In 1836 Wolverton was chosen
as the site of the locomotive
repair shop at the mid-point of
the London and Birmingham
Railway then under construction.
During the 1980s, the decline of
the railway works led to the
diminution of Wolverton’s tight-knit
Today Wolverton has a mixed race
community with many of the original
still living in the town.